IFTA Fuel Tax Reporting - An Overview
IFTA is an agreement between the 48 contiguous US States and 10 Canadian provinces that simplifies fuel taxes for truckers and trucking companies that operate in more than one jurisdiction.
- Generate IFTA reports in minutes
- Accurate fuel tax calculations
- Automatic IFTA rate updates
- Bulk data upload or manual data entry
- Supports State-specific report formats
- Instant Error Check
- 100% US-based support
1. What is IFTA?
The IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) allows commercial motor vehicles to travel in all participating jurisdictions with a single fuel tax license. IFTA makes interstate travel easier for truckers.
Every quarter, commercial motor vehicle owners must file an IFTA report that details all their mileage and fuel purchases with their base IFTA jurisdiction.
2. Who is required to file IFTA?
Owners of qualified commercial motor vehicles that travel between two or more jurisdictions must have an IFTA license and decals on their vehicles and file a report every quarter.
A qualified motor vehicle is any vehicle designed, maintained, and/or used to transport people or property and:
- Has two axles and gross vehicle weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds or
- Has two axles and a registered weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds or
- Has three or more axles or
- Has a combination weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds.
* Recreational vehicles are exempt from IFTA reporting.
Visit https://www.trucklogics.com/ifta-reporting-requirements/ to know more about your IFTA Reporting.
3. How does IFTA reporting work?
Every quarter, owners of qualified motor vehicles must file an IFTA report with their base jurisdiction. IFTA tax reports must include a detailed description of all miles traveled and every fuel purchase made in each jurisdiction. This information will be used to calculate the fuel tax you owe.
4. What is the tax rate for IFTA?
IFTA tax rates change every quarter in every member jurisdiction. ExpressIFTA is automatically updated with the latest tax rates so that your report is always accurate.
5. When is the IFTA filing deadline?
Use the table below to find your IFTA Filing dates for 2023
|Quarter Periods||IFTA Quarterly Tax Return Due Dates*||Due Dates|
|1st Quarter||January - March||April 30|
|2nd Quarter||April - June||July 31|
|3rd Quarter||July - September||October 31|
|4th Quarter||October - December||January 31|
* If the due date falls on a weekend or a state holiday, the due date is extended to the following business day.
6. What information is required to generate an IFTA Report?
In order to generate an IFTA Report you will need the following information:
- Business details including EIN, business name, business type, and address.
- IFTA details including your country, base jurisdiction, and IFTA account number.
- Vehicle Details including truck/unit number, gross vehicle type, fuel type, fleet name, fleet number, make, model, etc.
- Mileage & fuel purchase details including trip number, distance traveled, and fuel purchased.
Visit https://www.trucklogics.com/ifta-reporting-requirements/ to know more about your IFTA Reporting Requirements.
7. How do I file an IFTA report?
There are three ways to file an IFTA report, but your base jurisdiction may not accept all methods. Be sure to check here for more information.
E-filing IFTA tax reports will be accomplished through your base jurisdiction’s IFTA portal. Your report will be considered submitted the moment you e-file.
Each jurisdiction has an IFTA department address where you can mail your report. Be sure to report and mail your report early, as it will take time to reach the office.
Some jurisdictions have offices where you can walk in and submit your IFTA report. It will be considered filed the same day you file.
8. Are there penalties for failing to file IFTA?
If you do not file a return within 30 days of a quarterly deadline, your IFTA license will be suspended. Similarly, failing to make a tax payment within 90 days of a deadline will cause your IFTA license to be revoked.
9. Choose ExpressIFTA to generate your IFTA report
ExpressIFTA is here to make IFTA reporting simple for you! We walk you through each step of the reporting process and automatically calculate your owed tax amount for you! You enter mileage and fuel purchase information manually or by bulk upload.
Then, all you have to do is take your report, file it with your base jurisdiction, and pay any tax owed!